Casework Volunteer Role Description
Migrants Organise looking for a casework volunteer who is available to support our advice team on Tuesday and/or Thursday starting in April 2021.
We will provide close supervision and training. We would except you to be available for six months (1 day volunteering per week) or three months (2 days volunteering per week).
Volunteer Role Description
Your responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the Community Programme Team in the efficient running of the Community Programme
- To offer 1-2-1 advice to migrants and refugees on their basic welfare rights and entitlements
- To provide advocacy to clients consisting of making phone calls, writing letter, filling in forms, making appropriate referrals
- Keep records and provide brief reports as appropriate
- Ensuring correct data entry and record keeping
- Other duties on an ad hoc basis
Skills and Knowledge
- Experience in advising migrants and refugees (eg. asylum support, welfare benefits, housing, education)
- Ability to speak clearly and confidently adapting style to needs of members
- Ability to produce clear well-structured written information and advice
- An ability to build good rapport with vulnerable migrants and refugees
- A commitment to equality & diversity and the rights of all individuals to respect and fair treatment
- Ability to work proactively and being self-sufficient
- Knowledge of the asylum and the immigration system in the UK (desirable)
If you are interested in the role, please send your CV and a covering letter to Heike Langbein (email@example.com). Please also indicate your availability in the covering letter.
The deadline for applications is 26th March 2021.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an online interview taking place the week of 29th March 2021.
Migrants Organise is a platform where migrants and refugees organise for power, dignity and justice. We work across the UK to bring community organisations, individuals, and institutions together on a common platform to act with, not for, migrants and refugees. We aim to make our communities stronger, more powerful and create spaces for us to speak out on issues affecting migrants and refugees, from isolation, discrimination, immigration policy, structural racism and more.
The Community Programme at Migrants Organise supports about 500 individuals and their families every year through its work. We provide casework support to refugees and migrants including advice on housing, welfare benefits, community care, education, asylum support and employment.
Our office is currently closed and we are providing casework support to our members remotely. We offer weekly Zoom activities (eg. English classes, women’s group) and match our members with ‘volunteer buddies’ for weekly check-in calls.