We are looking for an Arabic speaker to volunteer with us- can you help?
The Community Programme at Migrants Organise is currently supporting more than 400 vulnerable migrants and refugees through its work. We match asylum seekers and refugees with
volunteer mentors for one-to-one support, run weekly activities (eg. English classes, Sewing Group, Poetry Group) and offer casework and immigration support.
Our casework focuses on supporting our members to access their entitlements within the asylum process and once they are granted refugee status. This includes access to asylum support, community care, housing, welfare benefits, education and employment.
We are currently looking for an Arabic speaking volunteer who can help with the casework for our Arabic speaking members.
Ideally, the volunteer caseworkers will be available either on a
Monday or a Wednesday and can commit to six months of volunteering.
Reasonable lunch and travel expenses will be reimbursed. Training will be provided.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Offering 1-2-1 advice to migrants and refugees on their basic welfare rights and entitlements (in Arabic and English)
- Providing advocacy to our members consisting of making phone calls, writing letter,
filling in forms, making appropriate referrals
- Keeping records and provide brief reports as appropriate
- Being a friendly face in the office: picking up the phone, being on reception
- Ensuring correct data entry and record keeping
- Supporting the Community Programme team in the efficient running of the Community
- Other duties on an ad hoc basis
Skills and Knowledge
- Fluent spoken Arabic
- Ability to speak clearly and confidently adapting style to needs of members
- Ability to produce clear well-structured written information and advice
- An ability to build good rapport with vulnerable migrants and refugees
- A commitment to equality & diversity and the rights of all individuals to respect and fair treatment
- Ability to work proactively and being self-sufficient
If you are interested in the role, please send your CV and a covering letter to Heike Langbein (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 28th June 2019. Please get in touch with us if you have any questions about this volunteering role.