The Coalition Government has been conducting a consultation on proposed changes to Legal Aid. MRCF was one of the first to point out how these changes could negatively impact migrants and refugees in Indre’s post: Green Paper Proposes Changes to Legal Aid.
The consultation period is ending this Monday, February 14, 2011 at 12:00 (noon). We have prepared a template response in order to help oher migrant or refugee organisations feed their voice and case studies into this consultation.
Individuals and organisations can submit responses. We urge as many people as possible to respond; please circulate this information to your networks. The government will take it more seriously if there are more responses.
1. Submit an original response using case studies from your experience as an individual or organisation.
2. Submit a response using our template.
If you use the attached template response:
The attached template response is an edited version of responses by MRCF, MRN, Women’s Resource Centre, Maternity Action and the British Institute for Human Rights and it sets out the potential impact of the proposed changes to Legal Aid on migrants and refugees on access to justice, safety and equality.
It needs to be submitted as a Microsoft Word file but you should also copy the text into the body of your email message. We did not format the text so you can number it once you add or delete paragraphs.
- Put your name or organisation name at the beginning and end of document
- Add your experience and point of view throughout the document
- Add case studies from your experience
If you cannot add case studies, do not worry– it is enough if you just send this response as the purpose is to let the government know that your community should be counted when these important decisions are made.
**Make sure that you change colour and formatting in places you add your details (beginning and the end of document).
How to Submit:
- When completed, you can send the response by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email your MP a copy of your response and ask what they are doing about Legal Aid. If you ask this, they are required to reply to you. (Find your MP’s email)
- Email us your response so we can track our campaigning efforts. (email@example.com)
Responses must be submitted by 12 Noon on Monday 14 February 2011. Please do it ASAP.
Ministry of Justice documents: You can view all information, including the Ministry of Justice’s green paper and associated impact assessments on the website of the Ministry of Justice here.
If you have any questions please call MRCF on 020 8964 4815 before the deadline.