Volunteer with us!
Do you believe migrants and refugees should have the right to thrive in the UK? Can you spare a day or two a week for six months? If so, read on
We’re looking for Trainee Migrant Organiser to volunteer alongside our growing Organising Team.
Tile: Trainee Migrant Organiser (Volunteer)
Purpose: Migrants Organise is looking for volunteers to support our new and growing Migrant Organising Team.
Where: Ladbroke Grove, London (the role includes some travel around London)
Role Type: Voluntary (travel expenses covered)
Commitment: 1-2 days per week for 6 months
Application: Please send your CV and completed Volunteer Application form to email@example.com (please read the role description, person specification and application instructions)
Deadline: Sunday October 30th (midnight)
Migrants Organise is a platform where migrants and refugees organise for power, dignity and justice. We work across the UK to bring community organisations, individuals, and institutions together on a common platform to act with, not for, migrants and refugees. We aim to make our communities stronger, more powerful and create spaces for us to speak out on issues affecting migrants and refugees, from isolation, discrimination, immigration policy, structural racism and more.
Every year Migrants Organise works with an amazing team of dedicated volunteers who focus on building the power of migrant and refugee communities. We love meeting new people who want to volunteer with us and believe in developing opportunities to suit the needs of our members and volunteers.
This is an exciting time for Migrants Organise, we we expand our community organising and focus on building a new, powerful movement of Migrant and Refugee Leaders. Volunteer Organisers will work with a paid staff member to develop their experience and capabilities in our model of migrant community organising.
Aims of the role:
We’re looking for passionate, energetic and proactive volunteers to support our Organising Team, who are focused on building the power of migrant and refugee communities to act to power, dignity and justice.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the staff team and member organisations (migrant and refugee community organisations and groups) to develop and deliver our organising strategy
- Supporting the team to plan and coordinate events, actions and organising training (including our flagship Leadership Academy Training)
- 121 face to face meetings and attending group meetings
- Researching (desk based and community based) issues important to our groups
- Connecting to new migrant and refugee organisations to grow our power
- Communicating with our members via email, social media and phone keeping them updated on plans and progress
- Being a friendly face in the office: picking up the phone, being on reception,
- Other duties on an ad hoc basis
Our ideal volunteer (person specification) Our ideal volunteer is:
- Passionate about the rights of migrants and refugees
- Knowledgeable of integration and inclusion issues and challenges in relation to migrants and refugees (this could be first hand experience, work experience or research
- A friendly people person with experience working with communities and building new relationships with organisations
- Proactive, organised and self-sufficient (we are a busy team!)
- Excellent at listening and responding to needs of people from different backgrounds with diverse needs
- Enthusiastic and motivated
Desirable (it would be great if you also had the following skills, experience and knowledge but it is not essential)
- Knowledge of community organising principles- engagement, power and participation.
- Experienced in campaigning, negotiating and influencing
- Direct experience working with refugees and migrants
|Application: Please send us your CV (2 pages max) and completed Volunteer Application Form.
Applications are due on Sunday October 30th 2016, midnight. Interviews will be held during the week of November 7th (currently Wednesday 9th and Thursday 10th)
Email CV and completed volunteer application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the role description and application below: